Our Family Support Services benefit families with a team approach founded on genuine relationships. Our Respite Services include In-Home Respite, Saturday Recreation (TRAC), After School and Vacation Camp Services. We also offer In-Home Clinical Support Services and Social Skills Groups.
Respite Services General Information
FSS enrollment requirements:
- The person must have a diagnosis of Autism
- The person needs to live with the parent/guardian.
- In-home respite and TRAC have no age limit.
- After School and Vacation Camp serves ages 5-21.
- The person must be Waiver Respite approved and ASI must be listed on the Life Plan in Section 4.
- All required documentation must be submitted to ASI before services can begin.
- ASI does not provide transportation to or from any FSS program.
- ASI does not provide ANY medications whatsoever during our programs. Respite staff are CPR and First Aid certified only. They are permitted to use an Epipen that has been prescribed by a physician.
- Facilities are not peanut-free.
- Site-based services do not have a nurse on-site but do have an on call nursing service.
- We cannot support anyone with a 1:1 supervision level.
In-Home Respite provides families a break from caregiving while a trained Respite staff comes to their home to care for their autistic family member. There is no age limit for this service.
- Staff are required to work minimum 2 shifts per month. A shift is the amount of time that the staff can provide. It can be 3 hours, 8 hours, etc. We do not provide overnight care and shifts cannot be longer than 12 hours.
- Staff are not permitted to allow the individuals to go swimming during respite unless a lifeguard or guardian is present.
- Staff are NOT permitted to administer any kind of medication except an Epipen that has been prescribed by a physician.
- Staff are allowed to transport the individual to outings if the family has agreed to this arrangement.
- Families are responsible for the costs of outings if requested for the individual and staff.
- Staff cannot provide respite in their own home. Only the home registered as the individual’s place of residency.
- Staff electronically punch in and out for their shifts and may request an electronic parent signature for verification.
Saturday TRAC (Amherst and Hamburg)
Our Saturday TRAC, After School, and Vacation Camp Services provide families with relief from caregiving while their autistic family member participates in recreational and social leisure activities within loosely structured, relaxed environments.
- Saturdays from September to the end of June from 9:00 am – 2:30 pm
- Recreation and leisure based activities and outings. Examples include movies, bowling, parks, skating, libraries, arcades, museums, water days, swimming, bounce magic, etc.
- Individuals bring bagged lunches and any specific items they may need like briefs, change of clothes (weather appropriate/bathing suits and towels during the summer months), sensory items like chewies, iPads, communication devices, etc. We are not held responsible for any damaged or lost items that are sent from home.
- One Saturday per month from September to June from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. Dates fluctuate.
- Recreation and leisure based activities and outings. Examples include bowling, pizza, libraries, mall walks, ice cream shop, etc.
- Snack is provided.
After School Program
- Monday through Friday 2:30 pm – 6:00 pm when school is in session.
- Snack is provided.
- Families need to supply briefs, change of clothes, sensory items like chewies, iPads, communication devices, etc. We are not held responsible for any damaged or lost items that are sent from home.
- Monday through Friday 8:45am – 2:15pm during eight (8) week-long school breaks.
- Individuals bring bagged lunches, drinks, snacks and any specific items they may need like briefs, change of clothes (weather appropriate/ bathing suits and towels during the summer months, sensory items like chewies, iPads, etc. We are not held responsible for any damaged or lost items that are sent from home.)
- We use Walmart brand sunscreen. If families prefer to use any other brand they would need to supply that for their child.
In-Home Behavioral Supports
Positive Support Professionals work with the autistic person and their family to address specific goals. At Autism Services we view behavior as communication that is purposeful and meaningful. There is no age limit for this service.
Social Skills groups are offered at our Amherst and Hamburg locations. Group activities are designed to enhance the person’s social abilities. We strive to help people boost their self-confidence and develop relationships both within the group, and beyond. Social skills accepts up to age 21.